Widgets

Google+

Monday 28 September 2015

Converting Foreign Driving Licence in Malaysia

Here is how to convert a foreign driving licence to a Malaysian driving licence.

Step 1. Go to your country embassy to get referral letter for driving licence conversion. 


In my case, it's Indonesian Embassy.

Documents required:
1. Passport original & photocopy (front & visa page)
2. Driving licence original & photocopy 150% enlarge

Fee: RM55

Processing time: 1-2 working days


Step 2: Go to JPJ Headquarter Putrajaya to apply for driving licence conversion


After getting the referral letter from your country embassy, the next step is to go to JPJ Headquarter at Putrajaya to submit the documents for driving licence conversion.

Where: 
26, Jalan Tun Hussein, Presint 4, 62100 Putrajaya
Kementerian Pengangkutan Malaysia (Ministry of Transport Malaysia)
Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan (JPJ)
Level 4, Bahagian Perlesenan Pemandu (Driving Licence Department)
General Line: 03 8892 8000

Office Hours: 
Mon - Thu: 7.45am - 1pm, 2pm - 5pm
Fri: 7.45am - 12.15pm, 2.45pm - 5pm 

Documents required:
1. Application form which will be given by the officer
2. Referral letter (from Step 1)
3. Driving licence original & photocopy
4. Passport original & photocopy (front & visa page)
5. Supporting documents* original & photocopy
    
*Depending on your visa type, if my case, it is spouse visa, so my supporting documents are marriage cert and my husband's IC (bring both original & photocopy). 

Processing time: 30 working days
No fee is involved at this point. 

An application slip will be given with a referral number. I was informed to check on the application status by contacting the phone number on the slip after 30 working days. 

If the application is successful, the next step is to visit any nearest JPJ branch office to obtain the Malaysian Driving Licence. 

The application flow is like this:
Source www.kbrikualalumpur.org

Step 3: Go to the nearest JPJ branch office to get your driving licence


So after waiting for about one and a half month (30 working days), I called back the JPJ Putrajaya Headquarter to check the status (Tel: 03 8892 8168). It was finally approved and I can go to any JPJ branch to get my driving licence, by bringing the following documents:

1. The application slip for the driving licence conversion 
2. Passport original & photocopy (front page) 150% enlarged
3. Photo for Malaysian driving licence (size 28 x 32 mm)
4. Foreign country driving licence original for verification
5. Fee RM 185 (RM 35 for the conversion, RM 150 for the 5 year period driving licence)


More information on JPJ branch office and opening hour: http://www.jpj.my/Malaysia_JPJ_Offices.htm

Processing time: 15-20 minutes once your number is called (but I waited for 2 hours, so better be there early)

Outcome: a 5-year Malaysian Driving Licence

2 comments:

  1. Hi Miki! I'm too an Indonesian passport holder married to Malaysian and find your articles are extremely helpful. I'm currently in the midst of applying Spouse Visa, I was running around in Shah Alam with your article always active on my phone, following every single step of your detailed information, though I didn't do the Extract of Marriage part cause it was written in the form as Sijil Kahwin, so I thought the rule has slightly changed, but I should have just followed you!

    I had my wedding certificates from Indonesia and had it registered in Malaysian Embassy in Jakarta in October 2017, and when tried submitting for Spouse Visa, they asked us to get the Extract of Marriage (they should've mention the PINK COPY as you mentioned in your article there in the form!), and to find our marriage data is not in the system yet (nearly 9 months upon registering), so they can't pink the Extract of Marriage....

    Also my mother-in-law kinda lost my husband's original birth certificate, we end up trying to submit with the photocopied, they asked us to get something like Extract of Birth Certificate, the same building where we were to get the Extract of Marriage, just a floor above. It's a green coloured certificate. If I'm not mistaken, it costs RM 5.

    I'm sorry if I bore you with my story. Nevertheless, can't thank you enough. :) Let me buy you a drink if you would! Or waffle with ice cream!

    Now something related to this article and if you don't mind me asking;
    It occurs to me to convert my driving license but after reading some articles, it says Indonesian driving license is acceptable in Malaysia. What do you think of this? Should I still convert it? The pro I could think of is when my driving license is expiring, I'd need to go back to Indonesia to renew it.

    Also, these are not suppose to be here, again. If you would prefer me to ask in respective article, please let me know. :)
    1. Upon getting the first Spouse Visa, the one that is most likely to be 6 months, can we actually fly around? Were you allowed to fly back to Indonesia?
    2. My work requires me to fly around and holding Indonesian passport, we need to apply visa a lot. Do you know if we can actually apply visa in for example China embassy in KL, with Spouse Visa? I read you can if you are a PR or if there is working permit.
    3. About applying Work for Spouse Visa, is it advisable if I were to apply it the very next day after getting the Spouse Visa?

    Again, can't thank you enough. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just helping to answer.
      No.1 yes. Its multiple entry Visa. Meaning can go in and out and back to Indonesia multiple times.
      No.2 yes if you already have approval for working permit on your spouse Visa.
      No.3 yes. It can be done anytime as long as you have all the company offer letter ready.
      Hope it helps

      Delete