Widgets

Google+

Friday 15 August 2014

Registration of Marriage (ROM) for Foreign Spouse in Malaysia

Ok, here I am now trying to refresh my memory as much as I can about the whole process of getting my ROM (Registration of Marriage) done in Malaysia early this year, 2014. I am an Indonesian and my husband, a Malaysian. It was not smooth at all as I missed out a lot of documents and had to go back to the offices back and forth. But I will write down the right steps here so that it could be a useful reference. So here it goes.

STEP 1: Go to the local Embassy to request for Reference Letter to Register Marriage in Malaysia (Surat Keterangan Untuk Menikah)


Where: 
Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia Kuala Lumpur (KBRI KL)
No. 233 Jalan Tun Razak
WP KL 50400

Office Hours: 
Mon-Fri: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm

Documents to bring or see the complete checklist here:

From the Non-Malaysian (Indonesian):
1. Single status letter - obtained from home country local civil registration office, valid for 3 months only after the issuance date


2. Birth certificate (original & photocopy)
3. Indonesian IC (original & photocopy)
4. Household Card (original & photocopy) 

From the Malaysian:
1. Single status letter - obtained from the state NRD (Fee: less than RM 10) 
2. Malaysian IC / MyKad (original & photocopy)

Processing time: 3 working days (collection time is normally afternoon)
Fee: RM 70

Note: 
- Both the Non-Malaysian and Malaysian couple have to be there at the time of application but there is no need for both party to be there at the collection time. Dress code: no tank tops, no short pants and no slippers.

STEP 2: Go to Ministry of Foreign Affairs to endorse the ’Surat Keterangan Untuk Menikah’


Where: 
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Malaysia 
(Consular Affair Division)
Wisma Putra, No. 1, Jalan Wisma Putra, Precint  2, 62602, Putrajaya

Office Hours: 
Mon - Thu: 8.30 am - 12.30 pm and 2.00 pm - 4.00 pm
Fri: 8.30 am - 12.15 pm and 2.45 pm - 4.00 pm

Documents to bring:
1. ’Surat Keterangan Untuk Menikah’ which has been obtained from the KBRI KL (Step 1)
2. Indonesian passport 
3. Malaysian IC / MyKad 

Processing time: same day (1-2 hours)
Fee: RM 10

STEP 3: Go to Immigration Office to get authorization letter to register marriage in Malaysia (this is additional step if you are a student pass or temporary pass holder)


Where: 
Headquarter of the Immigration Department Malaysia
(Ministry of Home Affairs)
Level 1, No. 15 Persiaran Perdana, Precint 2, 62602, Putrajaya

Office Hours: 
Mon - Fri: 7.30 am - 5.30 pm
Sat-Sun: 8 am - 1 pm 

Documents to bring:
1. Indonesian passport 
2. Malaysian IC / MyKad 
3. Passport photo 2 each (Non-Malaysian & Malaysian)

Processing time: same day (1-2 hours)
Fee: FOC

STEP 4: Go to JPN to submit all documents required for Registration of Marriage (ROM)


Where: 
Headquarter National Registration Department Malaysia (JPN) 
(Bahagian Perkawinan & Perceraian)
No. 20, Precint 2, Federal Government Administrative Center, 62100, Putrajaya

Office Hours: 
Mon - Fri: 7.30 am - 5.30 pm
Sat-Sun: 9 am - 2 pm 

Documents to bring or see the complete checklist here:
2. Malaysian IC / MyKad (original & photocopy)
3. Indonesian passport (original & photocopy of front, latest arrival & visa page)
4. Indonesian birth certificate - extract in English (original & photocopy)
5. Passport photo 1 each (Non-Malaysian & Malaysian) 
6. Malaysian single status letter 
7. ’Surat Keterangan Untuk Menikah’ endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affair (Step 2) - within 6 month validity from the date of issuance from KBRI KL
8. Authorization letter obtained from Immigration (Step 3)

Processing time: few hours after all documents are submitted, the officer will call your number back to set the date and time for registration of marriage (normally 1 month later) and give us a reference letter which we need to bring on the registration day.
Fee: RM 30 - to be paid on the registration day

STEP 5: Go back to JPN for the Registration of Marriage (ROM)


Documents to bring:
1. Reference letter
2. Malaysian IC / MyKad
3. Indonesian passport

Note: 
In addition, we need to bring 2 witnesses along with their ICs. All must attend in formal wear. And don't forget to bring cash RM 30 for the ROM fee. For more updated info on Registration of  Marriage for Non-Muslims in Malaysia click here.

Note in general:

- Registration of Marriage should be applied and done at the JPN office in the same state as per the address of MyKad holder
- Both applicants must be present throughout the whole process
- All photocopied documents should be accompanied by the originals


So, to conclude, here is the simple chart of the whole process.


Registration of Marriage Malaysia


36 comments:

  1. Hi Miki, thanks for writing the most helpful post for ROM with a foreigner in Malaysia. Im a Malaysian getting married to my Indonesian bf soon. Just want to ask you few more questions regarding the ROM. Did you translate your birth cert or single status letter to English? Is there a express service for getting the Surat Keterangan Menikah instead of waiting for 3 working days? We are running on a tight schedule here. Any time saving tips would be great! Thanks, Huey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Huey, tks very much for visiting my blog.

    1) I did have English translated birth cert but there is no need to translate both birth cert and single status letter as they can accept in Bahasa Indonesia.
    2) I dont think there's any other express service for getting the Surat Keterangan Menikah.

    For me, I just bring my whole folder of back up documents just in case if they ask so I don't need to go back and forth. And watch out the office operating hours so you can plan how many offices you can go in one day. I wish you good luck. Any more questions, pls feel free to ask me again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miki, thanks so much for the valuable information. Totally understand your frustration in going back and forth.

    I intend to do my ROM in Malaysia with my Malaysia gf (I am Indonesian), and I face problem in getting my complete documents.

    I went to KBRI and they rejected my application because they said my single status letter issued by KELURAHAN office is insufficient. They will only accept letter from the Catatan sipil office. Do you have any idea on how do I get that letter and just wondering whether do you have a sample of it? :)

    Your advice will be very much appreciated.

    Thanks Miki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andri, I had no idea as well that the KELURAHAN issued letter is not accepted. I just happened to get mine from the Catatan Sipil Office. Yes, I have the sample letter. I will update my blog post above so you can view it. Hope this will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Andri: You can ask any of your family member in Indonesia to get this Single Status Letter from the Catatan Sipil Office in our area. Submit the following documents:
    1) KTP - original
    2) Kartu Keluarga - original / legalisir
    3) Akte Lahir - original / legalisir
    4) 1x Passport Photo
    5) Passport Front Page - photocopy (just in case, I forgot this is needed or not)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miki!!! You don't know how much you have helped me! Thanks so much..... I called embassy this mornig asking for a sample and they said they don't have it and everybody should know it because is a standard letter(not helpful at all).

    Now I can get this quickly done because I will be flying back to collect it next week.

    Once again thanks Miki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Andri. Good luck! And feel free to ask me again if any question.

      Delete
  7. Hi Miki,

    Thanks for sharing. Do both parties must be there for endorsement of letter for marriage in Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes both party have to be there

      Delete
    2. Thanks Miki :) first time indonesia embassy submission will need to be there for whole day? i think submission shall be quite fast right?

      Delete
    3. Go there at 8am to get a queue number (there will be a long line already). Counter opens at 9am. Both parties have to be there with a proper dresscode. Good luck!

      Delete
  8. Hi, Miki. Thanks so much for your information about marrying Msian. I now planning to marry my M'sian boyfriend (I'm Indonesian), can I ask you : I will come to KL as a tourist, thus only get 1 month visa. Lets say, while prepare all the document needed, will take longer time than 1 month, is is possible to extend the tourist visa at KL (with my bf as a sponsor)? or I must go outside Malaysia then come in again?

    Thank u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you may extend your tourist visa at Putrajaya Immigration, accompanied by your husband-to-be as your sponsor. Bring any supporting documents (anything to show your ROM work in progress) with you to the Immigration. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. No, tourists visa cannot be extended. Only multiple entry visa or single entry visa from embassy msia in medan can be extend for extra 1 month. Its a 3 months visa from embassy msia in medan , you have to apply it there before you go to msia.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for your reply, Miki !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Miki, thanks a lot for your information. I want to confirm step 4 about birth certificate. Should the birth certificate be translated to English? Can not in Indonesian language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my very late reply. If I'm not mistaken birth cert in Indo language is accepted.

      Delete
  11. Hi Miki.. Thank you for your information! Can I have your email address to ask further information about this? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you can email me at amihon315@gmail.com

      Delete
  12. Hi Miki, Im planning to get married with my indonesian gf very soon. can i know for the indonesian IC, what type of IC is required ? i believe there is one called electronic IC and the other is normal IC ( lamented ). my gf only had the lamented version. Is that ok ? She has the rest of the documents ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if the IC is still valid and is not expired, it should be okay. that's my thought only, you may try your luck to call and check, good luck!

      Delete
  13. Hi Miki, thanks for your sharing.
    I am Indonesian and my Bf is Malaysian.
    There are many question from me regarding getting marriage with malaysian.
    My question is :
    1. How to get the translation of birth cert ?
    2. And yo get the single status letter, is it from RT or RW?
    3. If i am not a temporary pass holder or student pass holder , does step 3 is required ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, sorry for my late response.
      1. There is no need to get translated Birth Cert if it's in Indonesian. However, I did have the translated birth cert done long time ago, i guess the 'kantor notaris' in indo has this service.
      2. The single status letter, i got it from Catatan Sipil Office
      3. Step 3 is not necessary then :)

      Delete
  14. Hi, is there any dress code for the ROM in putrajaya ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No particular dress code, but best to follow formal (semi formal) dress code.

      Delete
  15. Hi Miki!
    I'm Lidya(Indonesian) I plan to get married May next year. May I know how long does it take for the whole process of the ROM? �� Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lia, u can refer to the timeline of each step above. Good luck!

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Mba Miki,
    first thing i want to let you know "Your blog is awesome!!!!"
    Second, i have two questions:
    1. In order to get this Single Certificate, do i need to receive (issue) reference letter from Kelurahan? in your sample said "SAMPLE" pretty huge, i can't really read Verse 2 at point 3.
    2. Will our government have record that we get married?

    My fiance is An American, and we both reside in Taiwan. the regulations in Taiwan pretty confusing, and since my Fiance can't take leave this year we plan to have real wedding next year, but we might need to save some money and have legal residency for me in Taiwan (right now im using student visa means i will have to keep studying and pay for school).

    The Taiwan household office said, i just need to have this letter and legalize it at Taiwan Consulate in Indonesia. Then i dont need to bring this letter to the Foreign Affairs in taiwan for Endorsement since i will have to legalized it at their consulate. Will that make sense?

    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes get the 'status' reference letter from your local Catatan Sipil Office and get it endorsed at the Foreign Affair Office in Taiwan.. Hope it helps, good luck

      Delete
  18. Hi miki, thanks for writing this guide. It did helps alot others outside there. I would like to clarify. After the rom done in malaysia. Both party have to go and register in Indonesia Catalan cipil right? May I clarify whats the documents need to prepare for indoonesia government in order to register the marriage

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Miki , thanks for your writing .
    I am Indonesian and my Bf is Malaysian.
    There are many question from me regarding getting marriage with malaysian.
    My question is :
    01. What is the Passport photo size?
    02. What is the Passport photo background some of website writing need White color and some of them saying blue color background

    need your advice, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 01. What is the Passport photo size?
      35 x 45mm
      02. What is the Passport photo background some of website writing need White color and some of them saying blue colour background.
      Both are ok.

      hope i answered your questions, sorry for the late reply.

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Miki.
    I just submit my documents to JPN and get the letter from JPN which when ROM date.
    I need to apply extension tourist visa for my GF. If apply for extension need how many working day? Can i go early 1 week before expired? Or have to near the expired date?

    ReplyDelete