Widgets

Google+

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Top 10 Local Foods in Singapore

It's been more than 2 years since I left Singapore. And within the past 2 years, the food scene in Singapore has changed tremendously. There are new restaurants and cafes opened at almost every corner in the neighbourhoods. 

There are countless of good foods in Singapore really. The foods I am going to write here, are those that I ate, either near my old apartment or near my ex- working places. It's not those fancy restaurants or cafes, but those are the exceptionally good foods that can only be found in Singapore. It brings back memories and I certainly would like to eat them again when I got a chance to visit Singapore. 


1. Boon Tong Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice @River Valley

One of the best Hainanese chicken rice besides the Ipoh chicken rice. The chicken is consistently very soft and succulent.


hainanese-chicken-rice
Image Source: Boontongkee.com.sg


2. Kim's Place XO Fried Hokkien Mee @Joo Chiat Rd

I love the big oysters they put quite generously in their specialty dish, XO fried 'Hokkien Mee'. 


kim's-hokkien-mee
Image Source: Kimsplaceseafood.com



3. Raw Fish Salad with Congee 

I first had this raw fish salad in Long House Hawker Centre @Upper Thomson Rd but I heard it is closed now. The other hawker centre that offers raw fish salad is Maxwell Food CentreThe raw fish salad, which instantly cooked when dipped into hot congee, is so refreshing when eaten raw. I love to eat both raw and cooked. 


raw-fish-salad-congee
Image Source: Tripadvisor.com



4. Sungei Road 'Laksa' @Top 33 Kopitiam Jalan Berseh

This is one of the very popular legendary 'laksa' stall in Singapore. Only $2 for a small bowl of laksa but with a punch of bold flavour.


laksa



5. Economical Mee Hoon @Berseh Hawker Center

Economical mee hoon is a typical Singaporean breakfast. I like this particular fried 'mee hoon' (rice vermicelli) because it's got the heat from the ginger oil and also the over easy egg which yolk is still runny. 


fried-mee-hoon



6. Kway Chap @Berseh Hawker Center

'Kway Chap' is a dish with a mix of proteins, it can be pork belly, pork offals, hard-boiled eggs, bean curd braised in dark soy sauce. Actually it is quite common food and you can find it in almost every food court in Singapore. I love kway chap especially with the fragrant yam rice.



kway-chap



7. Popiah @Old Airport Road Food Centre

This popiah, not only looks good, but also tastes great.




8. Soup Guru's Lotus Root Soup @Food Republic ION Orchard

Love this slow-cooked lotus root soup. The pork ribs are so tender, almost falling off the bone. It's best to eat with yam rice or pumpkin rice.

lotus-root-soup


9. EWF Charsiew Burger @Orchard Central 

This big piece of 'charsiew' (braised roasted pork) is so juicy and tender, absolutely the best burger I've ever had. EWF (Everything With Fries) is a Singapore fusion fast food restaurants. They also offers 'Har Jeong Gai' (chicken in shrimp paste) nuggets and burger which are also my favourite.


charsiew-burger



10. Local Coffeeshops

I love to drink the Singapore local coffee which you can order-to-customise to your taste e.g. 'kopi si gao' (thick coffee with evaporated milk), 'kopi si siew dai' (coffee with less sugar and evaporated milk) or 'yin yong' which is a mix of milk coffee and milk tea. Below are the coffee shops I went quite regularly:

i. Ya Kun Kaya Toast @313 Somerset
ii. The original Killiney Kopitiam @67 Killiney Road
iii. Coffee & Toast @TripleOne Somerset 
iv. Toast Box @*Scape   

singapore-local-coffee


Note: Those pictures that I put Image Source caption, I did not obtain permission from the owners. If you wish me to take those pictures down, do let me know. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment